July 11, 2014

Where Bloggers Create 2014

Welcome to Where Bloggers Create 2014

Has it been a year? I guess it has, but it has flown. I wish I felt like my list of accomplishments were more equal to the accumulation of days and months that have went by. In any event, welcome to this year's tour of my workspace/studio/office. If you came by last year, thank you for coming to visit again, and if this is your first time here— I am most pleased that you have stopped by my little corner of the interweb. Before we get started I want to make certain to thank Karen Valentine at My Desert Cottage for hosting this party again.

Where Bloggers Create
Last year was such a blast that I am doing it again. I can not wait to see what treats there are in store for me when I go on the tour of all the great blogs that will be participating. In actuality, not a whole lot has changed in my little corner of the House since last year. On the whole, I am more settled; I have rearranged to make things more convenient or aesthetically appealing to myself, added a couple of pieces of furniture and gotten a bit more organized. When I realized that it was coming up on July, and time for Where Bloggers Create, I was certain that I had plenty of Time, that I would get everything clean and organized for a photo shoot and...



Gwen's Studio 2014
This year I have a much larger work table, and a couch (that I never sit on) in the studio.

The reality is that I moved stuff around and out of the way while I took pictures, just like I did last year when I only found out about this party a couple of days beforehand. I openly admit to being a procrastinator, but a procrastinator with an impossibly long to-do list. It is Summertime, and the "living ain't easy". I have even more to do than usual. It seems like the little extras just keep piling on. Everything from helping one of my daughters get moved just a few weeks ago, to my Mom is out of town so I go by her house and take care of plants a couple of times a week. I have also just went live with a commercial website I designed and built, and a million things keep cropping up to be done. All those little jobs, chores and errands can fill a day to overflowing before you even realize it.

Bead OrganizationOn to the tour now. I have managed to get through at least half of my bead stash. I have organized it into these handy little clear plastic cases, divided by different types of beads, findings and chain, etc. I have labeled these cases, and most of my studio. I have a lot better chance of actually finding what I am looking for than I did a year ago. 




Roll top desk in my studio
I finally got around to hanging the antique heddles which are all that is left of an old factory loom I actually found in the yard of a junk shop years ago. I learned how to weave on that loom, but it was in such an advanced state of deterioration that it didn't weather subsequent moves very well. I continue to decorate with thrift shop finds, such as the cake pedestal and old salt and pepper shakers on top of the wood file cabinet. The shakers are now filled with glitter. For those of you who commented and asked about the beautiful roll-top desk I got from my Dad, I did do a blog post with a virtual tour of its nooks, cubbies and crannies. You can find the post Autumn in the Studio with this link.


Studio Shelves 1Following up on the theme of Thrift Shop finds, I have shelves just loaded with such trinkets as those pictured here. Floral frogs, old and spray painted clothes pins, a glass globe I made, but am going to redo before the holidays, and the coolest little map print vase holding dowel rods shares space with recycled jars filled with tiny findings and clips.


Studio Shelves 2
I found the shabby white jewelry box in a NC thrift store. I replaced the plain knobs it had with some Tim Holtz ones I had on hand. The bracelet display came from a small shop's going out of business sale. The office section of thrift and second hand shops offer a wide array of storage options for paper goods, tags, etc. I have bought several items in industrial gray or black and spray painted them.
Lazy Susan-- work table carousel


Though lots of my storage, containers and displays are vintage or second hand, I have purchased several pieces from Michael's, and I love them. If you are cheap like me and wait till they are on sale 40% or more off, they are budget friendly items. This work table carousel keeps all my scissors, rulers, glues and other small items near at hand.
Recharge Station





I found this side table out in the back room of the barn. It was chipped and water stained, and a lovely enamel black. I was tired of having my phone and other devices virtually sitting on the floor by my desk when they were recharging, but the space next to the desk was narrow. It just happened that this little table fit in around the speaker and surge protector like a charm. So, I sanded, painted and decoupaged, and with the addition of some colorful little clips for the cords, it is a recharging station. It is a little funky, I know, but I like it, and it is very practical.







Here is a yard sale find that I am very happy with. It is a vintage Sunshine biscuit Currier & And Ives Autumn tin and while it has a tiny bit of rust, it is in wonderful shape. I paid $1.50 for it. When the woman having the sale told me the price, I clutched it to me, afraid that if I put it down someone else would grab it. It makes a splendid holder for sewing bric-a-brac.





This case holds just a small fraction of my button collection. I have old (a couple of cracked leather buttons still on the original but unreadable card) and new, wood, ceramic, glass, plastic, metal, leather, rhinestone and crystal buttons just off of the top of my head.








Christmas in July





And yes, there is a tiny Christmas tree sporting some LED lights with bubbles embedded in them I wanted to try out a string of, and an assortment of beaded ornaments I still have. They were a good seller for me when I belonged to a craft guild in North Carolina a few years back.
Yarn filled Baby Buggy





Every once in awhile when you are the sort of inveterate Thrifter that I am, you walk through the door of one of your familiar haunts and have an AHH HA kind of moment. When I saw this little baby doll basket at one of my favorite shops, I immediately knew it was going home with me. I think I paid about $3.00 for it, and I am convinced that I got a deal. It has become the catch-all for several different items over the course of the last few months, but currently is harboring a heap of yarn.






Wicker Couch in front of Studio Window

As I get ready to wind up this tour, what better place to stop than the big cozy wicker couch that now sits in front of my picture window. In a less hectic world, we would share a cup of tea and admire the view. I wanted to make certain, on the off chance that Romeo from Confessions of a Junkyard Cat should stop by, he will have a place to relax for a bit.

And speaking of the view out the window. It has drawn me more and more of late. My daughter and I are entertaining ideas of doing not only a bigger vegetable garden, but a patch of herbs and small fruits like figs, elderberries, blueberries and blackberries for the Farmer's Market. To that end, we have been spending many, sometimes grueling hours out in the heat trying to tame the wild patch that was the garden area here when we arrived. I don't think the tour would be complete without including a photo of where my daughter Gaia and I do a lot of our Creating these days. So, I am going to wish you farewell from the little building behind the House that we call the Garden House. Thanks for stopping by...

The Garden House 2014

36 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love your furniture, especially that white wicker couch. A cup of tea sounds perfect, I'm serving some at my imaginatoRRRy today. ;)
    Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Marcia. I'll put on the kettle :-). I am still working on getting by all the other gorgeous and magnificent blogs featured in this year's WBC in all my spare time. just want you to know how much I appreciate your taking time to stop by and your kind words.
      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful space you have! Studios, rooms, nooks or corners are always a work in process I think, procrastination or not. Though so much in my space is similar to last year's tour, a few changes had to be made when my husband adopted another cat in the fall. Turns out he has a thing for glass jars and their stoppers, ~sigh~. My summer is slower as I'm a teacher August-May, but I made (and leave) some fine messes as I work on holiday gifts during the school year.

    Now you have me wondering if higher storage, like the baby bassinet/stroller, would keep Buck (the newish cat) out of my yarn...

    :)

    Michaele (Twigs and Tulle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Michaele. I love your blog. In fact, I became a fan last year touring sites that were part of Where Bloggers Create. I am going over to check it out as soon as I have a chance.

      Seems like cats are omnipresent in the Blog world (and as companions to geeks and computer people in general :-). I guess we just learn to live with their quirky ways and adapt. Seems like it should be the other way around, or at least a compromise though. I know my two haven't compromised yet. The reason I have to keep the roll-top desk shut and beads and other shinies properly secured is because I have a furry thief in the house.

      Anyway, thanks again for coming and for your kind words.

      Happy Summer,
      Gwen

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely, creative space and what a wonderful view for inspiration! Would love to see more of your button collection! I just started getting into them and all of the different details some of them have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am not being very prompt at replying, but I truly do appreciate all my wonderful visitors.

      I will try to do a post on some of the different button types at some point. They are indeed fascinating little embellishments.

      Thanks Again,
      Gwen

      Delete
  4. Your view is beautiful. I love the shed. I would be lovely to look out into a garden. I love your space it is so creative. Thanks for linking and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much. I appreciate that you took time to come by.

      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  5. Gwen, thanks so much for joining the party again this year!!! I cracked up when you said you had a sofa in the room that you never sit on, but then it all became clear when I realized it was for Romeo!! He definitely deserves a comfy place to sit!! Have a great time at the party!!
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, for hosting this lovely party, and for stopping by. I really do appreciate the chance to show off my studio, and to see and be inspired by yours and so many others.

      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  6. Lovely studio Gwen! I love all the shelves and the green tin with pegs in it. Wonderful view too. Thanks so much for the tour. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      The shelves were actually in the house when we moved in, though in a different room. They really are imposing, and very heavy. I am so glad you stopped by.
      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  7. I love your creative cottage! Such a great place to be able to go, close the door, and just create to your heart's content. I always feel like there is much to do and other things I can do in my creative space after seeing the other spaces. Sometimes I get to them right after this party and other times just a week or two before it! We do what we can, when we can. Thanks for sharing your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy. I appreciate your kind words. I love this party. The opportunity to see where other people work, and to show off my own space a bit, is just priceless.

      Thanks again,
      Gwen

      Delete
  8. Does this mean if I add a couch too Romeo may make an appearance at MY house?! I love your room and that view is gorgeous. I particularly fell for the repurposed "charging" station you created, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen,
      Romeo did point out that there were no comfortable places for him to relax when he came by last year. I promised to remedy the situation and now I have a couch that my cats lie on even if I never use it myself :-)
      Thanks for coming by,
      Gwen

      Delete
  9. How sweet of you to make sure Romeo has a place to rest... lucky cat!

    That recharging station is a wonderful idea; I need one of those!

    Love your room and your thrifty finds; and that shed is incredible. What a lovely home you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maureen,
      I am just wondering what the odds are of having Two Maureens stop by the blog and comment within a couple of hours. Hmmm. Kind of Cosmic.

      Anyway, thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for your kind words. I so appreciate that you took time to comment.
      Gwen

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a wonderful creative space! Looks like a place I could just spend hours in. Thank you for sharing!
    Cathy
    CraftyCat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,
      Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words.
      Gwen

      Delete
  11. Oh I love your garden house - I so want o go in there maybe next year we can take a peek in there too! LOL I love all the little touches of vintage housing all of your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,
      Thanks so much. I know that I got over to your site the other day, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am pretty sure I left a comment, but if not, I liked it.
      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  12. What a great space to create in. I am thrifty too, everything in my space is a thrift store or auction find that has been redone. I just love the fun of finding neat things. I will look in the office section of thrift stores for items that can be re-purposed, thanks for the tip. I am Janet from Graceful Rose. I hope you will visit me soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,
      Always good to hear from another thrifter. It's one of my favorite "sports". Thanks for stopping by.
      Gwen

      Delete
  13. I LOVE your creative space! Like you, I use an assortment of thrift store finds to use for storage and/or display in my room. I'm so inspired by your space and that wicker couch is fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Lori. I appreciate your kind words.
      Sincerely,
      Gwen

      Delete
  14. Oooh I love your creative cottage! Your furniture is so charming!

    Thank you for sharing!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,
      Thanks for stopping by, and for your kind words.
      Gwen

      Delete
  15. I love your space and I love that little garden cottage.

    Thanks for the tour and some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Glad you came by.
      Gwen

      Delete
  16. Hi Gwenn, You have a lovely studio and the view is gorgeous. I adore your wicker couch and I'm sure sweet Romeo will too, when he stops by.
    Happy creating!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      Thank you for coming by, and for you sweet comment. I really appreciate it.
      Gwen

      Delete
  17. MEow! Gwenn! Mew have stolen my heart! A wicker sofa just for me!!!! Oh my goodness *boing* and will you look at all that space, with a comfy pillow no less! I am so happy *bOiNg" that you remembered me and put this wonderfully cushy soft and *boInG* cuddly sofa here. My whiskers look like springs I am so happy *bOiNG*. Happy, happy boy! Did I mention happy!?! And your studio is just as lovely as I remembered but did you see the wicker sofa?!?! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my wHiSKers!!!!! Maybe I should have packed a bag. I mean I think *BoInG* I certainly must stay a bit, it would be rude not to right?! And besides, I'm not through *bOiNg* bouncing up and down on the cushion. I mean do you know how long it's been since I had enough space - vertically and horizontally to bounce with glee?!? A VERY long time. Normally I have to go *bOiNg* outside and do that on the deck chairs. And well I tried that once and it's didn't work so well. Chair fell over *BoInG* with me landing in the bushes. But this *bOiNG* is purrfect!! And your studio *bOiNg* has all these different views *BoINg* with each bounce! Oh this is the most heavenly studio - hey will ya look at that charging station *boInG* how clever is that?! *BoInG* And budget friendly addtions!? Oh yes! *boInG* "she" will certainly agree that budget friendly is *BoInG* always good!!! Buttons and *BoiNg* and beads!! Oh my! I think I am *boInG* going to have to stop for a bit *BoInG* and restzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for stopping by, Romeo. You are a very famous cat! Almost everyone who has been by knows you, at least by reputation. Most cats don't have their own blogs. I wish mine would help me out sometimes. But, they got named for Greek Goddesses, and I really think it went to their heads. They are not only finicky, they are lazy. I really wasn't trying to be a name dropper when I wrote this post. It had just stuck in my head that you'd commented on my lack of cozy seating space last year, and I know how hard it can be for you at home. Being in the midst of Creative Flux can be exhausting and difficult. So you see, my space is fairly sedate. Though I have added some things, it has been more office than studio of late, and I have been too busy on the computer to "create" a great deal. And yes, the view is lovely, and keeps drawing me that way. I have visions of an herb garden and the way I want the little Garden House to be. Lots of work though. I am heading out in a few. So just relax on the couch as long as you like, while I go over to your place and contemplate how lovely it would be to move some of Deborah's clutter over here.
    Enjoy! and thank you,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your fab studio with us and yes like Julia I could see myself lounging on that gorgeous cane couch taking in all the beauty in your back yard inc. your little garden house. It's all beautiful! We grow organic berries and some vegies for sale too!
    Will call again,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much for your kind words, Suzy. I, too, am trying to get into growing organic berries, and some herbs as well, for the Farmer's Market. we have a ways to go, but it is fun.
      Thanks again,
      Gwen

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing from you...

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...